Unlock your potential.
Embark and RADIUS have partnered to provide funding in amounts ranging from $200 to $2,000, depending on project size and budget, to SFU students.
The Social Innovation Seed Fund is designed to enhance student access to early stage financial support for projects, initiatives, programs or processes intended to create positive social, economic or environmental transformation for SFU and/or its communities, contributing to long-term sustainability.
You can apply for Social Seed Funding if you are an SFU student working on a radical idea with social or environmental impact at its core.
How to apply
All students from across SFU are encouraged to apply. A primary team member must be an active graduate or undergraduate student at SFU. Each primary applicant and team may submit only one application per year.Keep in mind that:
- Academic research projects and conference fees are not usually funded.
- Projects that are already funded by other SFU student organizations are less likely to be considered.
- One-time events can be funded up to a maximum of $500.
Applications are accepted at four points during the current academic year:
|ROUND||DEADLINE||NOTIFICATION OF RESULT|
|1||October 26th, 2018||November 16th, 2018|
|2||November 30th, 2018||December 14th, 2018|
|3||February 8th, 2019||March 1st, 2019|
|4||March 29th, 2019||April 19th, 2019|
CRITERIA & REQUIREMENTS
Applications will be reviewed by an internal committee co-chaired by Embark and RADIUS. Once deemed eligible, applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Project potential — to what degree will the initiative create transformative social and/or environmental change?
- Demonstrated understanding of the problem being solved.
- The engagement and understanding of the community most affected by the project.
- The demonstration of the necessary skills, knowledge, and action plan to execute the project.
Grantees are required to complete:
- Short Mid-Term Survey
- End-of-Project Learning Report
- End-of-Project Blog post (video and photo encouraged) to be shared on the RADIUS and Embark websites not later than 30 days after project delivery.
Grantees are required to return any disbursed funds in the case that they are unable to provide the above deliverables. All deliverables must be completed by October 1st, 2019. If the successful applicant receives funding at the end of the granting period, the parties may negotiate an extended contract on a case-by-case basis.